Saturday 7 January 2012

Keep Writing

The first two chapters are drafted alright. However, that’s what they feel like – raw drafts. I guess the idea is to get the story and characters sorted out first. My second chapter feels like 12 chapters in one as it moves from one incident to another. You take a solid hit in confidence as you doubt your command of the language, your ability to write and if it all is actually worth a novel or merely a string of happenings. Not to worry, I shall let time reveal the daunting answers as I push my way forward.

Read an interesting quote today that’s worth sharing, I think it is by Christopher Hitchens. “Don’t say as a boy your grandmother used to read to you, unless at that stage of her life she really was a boy, in which case you have probably thrown away a better intro.”

It got me in splits on the train and yet, many of us do make such mistakes. Also, it reminds you that many people DO make such mistakes. You are not alone. Keep writing and I am guessing these are things that one must remember on the editing table.

I am currently averaging 3000 words per chapter and don’t think that makes a difference or matters.

RE: PREVIOUS POST ON NAMING CHARACTERS

The joss stick idea failed miserably. I did change one of the names despite all promises. I guess it helped me make up my mind, but I suggest if you go for any such weird solutions to name your characters or finalise names, get it out of the way early on (only if you must). You will eventually go with your instinct and what seems right for the character. I guess it was another form of procrastination. Also, for those of you who dished out advice on names that I should use… that’s out of the window too. Here’s advice that I may not be following, don’t ask others for advice.

1 comment:

  1. So are you going to reveal the names of your characters or keep us in suspense? - your favourite cousin

    ReplyDelete